Design Research Intern
Current student or recent graduate in Sociology, Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Industrial Design, or related field
NUMBER OF OPENINGS
RATE OF PAY
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP
ABOUT THE DESIGN RESEARCH INTERN
The Design Strategy and Research Department at Karten Design is seeking a Design Research intern. The ideal candidate is a current student or recent graduate in a design or social science field. They are excited by the idea of joining a dynamic and fun research team and participating in every aspect of the research process. They are motivated to push past traditional design research methods and contribute new ideas, learn new things, and collaborate with others. This individual has a passion for learning about people as well as a passion for working within the design field. The Design Strategy and Research Department conducts in-depth qualitative research to connect clients’ business strategies and objectives with product development solutions. Using unique tools and methodologies, we are able to develop and implement a wide range of research programs, from blue sky innovation to incremental product definition. By uncovering new ideas, discovering opportunities, and identifying previously unmet user needs, the research team provides Karten Design’s multi-disciplinary teams with fuel for innovation and directions for solving real-world problems.
- Preparing, conducting and participating in a variety of research approaches and opportunities, including both primary and secondary research.
- Working with teams of researchers, industrial designers and engineers.
- Interacting with and presenting to clients.
- Reporting to and checking in with design researchers & strategists for project reviews.
- Participating in brainstorming, concept development and strategy sessions.
- Reviewing primary research and analyzing and synthesizing research data for clients and designers.
- Generating content for reports and presentations.
- Efficient at responding to mobile communication when dealing with team members who are out of the office, etc.
- Current student or recent graduate in Sociology, Psychology, Cognitive Science, Anthropology, Industrial Design, or related field
- Experience preparing, planning, conducting, and/or analyzing primary and secondary research for product development or a related creative field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Interest in industrial design, and a passion for learning about people
- Experience in utilizing the Internet to conduct user research is a plus
- Must be inquisitive and flexible – able to ask appropriate questions adjust easily to shifting plans and changes in programs (after all, it’s a creative environment)
- Must be responsible, punctual, and able to meet tight deadlines
- Comfortable working directly with other team members
- Must be a creative thinker, and a quick learner who is able to take direction while also being a proactive team member
- MAC and PC proficiency required
- Intermediate understanding of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, PowerPoint and Office
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive pay, free espresso, a cubicle-free environment, and a chance to make a positive difference in people’s lives and do great work in Southern California.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume, relevant work samples, the dates you are available to work, and any questions you may have to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line: “DS&R Intern.” Please do not call!
ABOUT KARTEN DESIGN
Karten Design is an award-winning product innovation consultancy located in Marina del Rey, CA. Our team comprises a talented group of designers, researchers, strategists, and engineers all passionate about creating positive experiences between people and products. We use research and design strategically to help our clients—a mix of Fortune 500 companies and innovative start-ups in the medical device and consumer industries—define new opportunities to develop new products that delight users and build our clients’ brands.